Friday, February 20, 2009

David Wain is live-blogging the Oscars! Should be much more entertaining than the show itself, which is hosted by...Hugh Jackman? Is that true?

I really enjoyed the premiere of Important Things with Demetri Martin on Wednesday night. While I like his stand-up (and don't really agree with the Steven Wright comparison in the globe article I linked to, despite Martin's dryness), it was especially great to see him more animatedly doing sketches. Particularly since he was joined by Jon Benjamin, who heightens anything he's in. Also promising is that John Mulaney (see Mondo article) is a writer. The format is getting a lot of talk, but I think it works. Apparently this was Comedy Central's biggest premiere since Chappelle's Show. Kudos to you, Demetri Martin, kudos to you.

Tonight is Conan's last show! Kind of sad, even though I haven't watched it reguarly for a really long time. I can't even comment on the quality now, because I watch it so infrequently, but I very clearly remember discovering it as a hard-to-please adolescent, and realizing there was actually weird, funny stuff on late night. I've been re-watching (well, listening to) Mr. Show commentary over the last few nights, and it's great to hear Bob Odenkirk and Dino Stamatopoulous talk about writing with Conan pre-Mr. Show, re-emphasizing how much weirder and darker his own sense of humor is than someone like, say, Jay Leno. So I'm glad he's replacing Jay Leno, one of my least favourite people to ever tell a joke, and I'm very glad that Jimmy Fallon is replacing Conan, with A.D. Miles by his side as head writer. Fallon talks about hiring him here. I believe in you, Jimmy!

I'm really enjoying Eugene Mirman's book The Will to Whatevs so far. I'm impressed that he was able to capture his somewhat disjointed (in a good way), conversational stand-up style on paper while keeping the book cohesive. It's hard to make non-sequiturs work on paper, I think, and he manages to do it. Via The Apiary, here's a video:



And another:

2 comments:

  1. But how do you feel about Jay moving to prime time? Like vomiting? Like we were almost free, but now he's holding on to his spot as Conan's lead-in with a death grip? Like they're turning a potential hour of decent programming (or at least to show shows that may now take up space at 8 or 9, when there is decent programming) into a giant black hole of death? Like it just ain't fair!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the above, my friend, all of the above! Couldn't have said it better! Actually, I just posted Norm MacDonald's last Conan appearance on facebook, and he says a few choice words about it himself.

    ReplyDelete